The American Baptist Churches of Ohio invites pastors and their spouses to a Self Care/Soul Care Pastors’ Retreat, June 1-3 at Parchment Valley Conference Center, Ripley, West Virginia. Spouses are welcome to participate as well.
Dr. Kristina Gutierrez of Midwest Ministry Development Center will be the retreat program leader. Pastor Benjamin Payne of the First Baptist Church of Seville will lead worship. The retreat will include worship, fellowship, recreation, and learning.
About Parchment Valley…Parchment Valley is the Conference Center of the West Virginia Baptist Convention. It is a beautiful retreat and recreation setting in the hills of West Virginia, with two lakes stocked for fishing, a swimming pool, a 9-hole disc golf course, walking trails, and a gym. Our lodging will include cottages with a common area with small kitchen, back porch with rocking chairs, and hotel-style guest rooms with two double beds and private bath rooms. Meals will be served in the main lodge.
Thanks to a grant from the Palmer Trust/American Baptist Foundation, the cost of the retreat will be minimal. Due to a limited number of guest rooms at the conference center, registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis. To register, please complete and return the registration form included as soon as possible.
The American Baptist Churches of Ohio is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Regional Minister in each of our four regions. A potential candidate should possess the gifts, skills, and experiences necessary to serve effectively and creatively alongside an energetic staff team and among churches and leaders navigating increased cultural and ministry challenges in their region.
This is a part-time ministry position requiring 15-20 hours weekly.
For more information including qualifications and job descriptions for each Regional Minister, read more...
The Ohio Leadership Academy is now accepting new applicants for the 2022-2023 Academic Year!
The Ohio Leadership Academy exists as a 3-year course of study to prepare men and women to serve American Baptist Churches in positions of leadership through leadership enrichment and professional ministry development. The Academy serves to further enrich the Christian faith of its students and equip laity as well as pastors for leadership in the local church. Upon graduating from the Academy, graduates have the opportunity to become licensed ministers by their congregations or candidates for Track Three ABC Ordination.
Subjects include: Biblical Studies, Systematic Theology, Baptist History and Polity, Church Leadership, Worship and Preaching.
Course requirements include (but are not limited to):
• Attendance at every intensive (both physically and online)
• Out of class reading
• Writing assignments
• Practical ministry experience
What are the Tuition and Fees for the Academy?
• Annual tuition is currently $375
• A $25 non-refundable fee is required to process prospective student application.
• Additional costs to students include books, other instructional materials, and travel expenses, including meals and overnight lodging as needed.
Where do students attend the weekend intensive classes?
There are a total of four intensive weekends. In 2022, the Academy began a hybrid model in which students met at The Bridge Church in Sunbury, Ohio for two intensive weekends (November/May) and online through Zoom for two intensive weekends (January/March).
How do I apply for the Ohio Leadership Academy?
For admission to the Academy, students must be given strong recommendations by their local church pastors or the appropriate participating ABC/Ohio church body. Applications can be found at abc-ohio.org under the Ohio Leadership Academy link.
The Ohio Leadership Academy is a ministry of the American Baptist Churches of Ohio.
The Central Ohio Cohort is overseen by Dr. Seth Fallon, Dean of the Ohio Leadership Academy. Dr. Fallon can be reached by phone 304-991-6918 or email jacknave (at) icloud.com
Nominees are currently being sought for the American Baptist Churches of Ohio Region Board Treasurer.
Job Description (volunteer):
- The Treasurer is an active participant of the Executive Committee which includes the President, Vice President, Secretary, Past President and Executive Minister.
- Oversees all revenues, expenses and communicates this information to the Board on a quarterly basis.
- In cooperation with the ABC Ohio Staff as well as the Budget and Finance Committee, the Treasurer works to create the Budget Draft and present it to the Board for approval.
- In cooperation with the Senior Accountant, the Treasurer develops and presents the Annual Budget and an over view of the financial health of ABC Ohio at the Annual Gathering.
- Ensures development and Board review of sound fiscal policies and procedures.
- Acts as an official signer on the ABC Ohio bank account and works with Executive Minister and Senior Accountant on large monetary distributions.
- Oversees any financial agreements in consultation with the Finance Committee.
- Participates in revenue generation activities including cultivation and stewardship.
- Serves as the Chair of the Finance Committee.
- In cooperation with the Board Officers and Senior Accountant, accepts responsibility for filing annual tax forms as required by the State or the IRS.
- Provides a full financial report to the Board annually.
- Ensure the protection of funds from any potential misuse by any other members of the committee.
- Participate in the Annual Auditing Process
- Works with the Executive Minister to Plan and ensure adherence to the pre-determined financial budget for the year.
Please forward possible nominees to Rev. Mark Click.
Rev. Kenneth Lew Damon, born June 4th, 1957, to Sara Crabb Damon and Jack Almon Damon, passed away on Good Friday, April 15, 2022. He was a pastor at First Baptist Church of Bucyrus, Ohio for 10 years and the pastor of Shroyer Road Baptist Church for 25 years before retiring in January of 2020.
Ken received his Bachelor of Science in psychology and religion from Mount Union University (13 time football national champions!) and his Master of Divinity from Gordon Conwell Seminary.
He was winner of the Harry Manning award from American Baptist Churches for distinguished service. He was a lifelong learner and an avid reader. He had a perfectly-timed sense of humor. He had a zest for life, playing with electronic helicopters and nerf guns up until the day he passed. He LOVED food. He maintained a beautiful garden with his wife and kept a yard full of beautiful birds. He was a music buff, with an eclectic playlist for every occasion. He had a passion for social justice and fighting for those whose voices are often unheard. His empathy was palpable in every interaction.
Most of all, he was devoted to serving God through loving every person he came across. He was a man of patience and authenticity, loving his family and humanity without limitations or judgment. Humility and humor remain his legacy through the thousands of souls he impacted. To have known him was to have glimpsed God’s love. He will be deeply missed and remembered with the purest gratitude.
Ken is survived by his wife of 41 years, Jennifer, his sisters Amy and Janice, his daughter Julia, his sons Kyle and Joel, his daughter-in-law Nicole, his grandchildren, Jack, Skyler, Anemone, and his granddog Molly. Please keep the Damon family in your prayers.
Coming to Koinonia Summer 2022:
Special Person’s Camp ~ June 8 - 11, 2022
Sr. High Camp ~ July 10 - 15, 2022
Primary Camp ~ June 19 - 22, 2022
**Advanced Horsemanship Camp ~ June 5 - 10, 2022
Elementary Camp ~ June 19 - 24, 2022
First Timers Camp ~ July 22 - 23, 2022
Junior High Camp ~ June 26 - July 1, 2022
**Horsemanship Camp ~ June 19 - 24, 2022
Jr. & Sr. High Horse Camp ~ July 3 - 8, 2022
Elementary Horse Camp ~ June 26 - July 1, 2022
Paintball Camp ~ July 3 - 8, 2022
Youth Special Person’s Horseback Camp ~ July 31 - August 3, 2022
Adult Special Person’s Horseback Camp ~ August 3 - 6, 2022
**indicates invitation only
Cost & registration information available through The Koinonia Camp office at 440-466-1278 and more information is available online at http://www.christiancampohio.org and on Facebook at facebook.com/koinoniacamp1.