The latest news specifically for American Baptist Churches of Ohio.
Akron Association Welcomes a Familiar Face as Associate Regional Minister
The Rev. Kevin E. Slyh has been called to serve as the new ARM for the Akron Association in Northeast Ohio beginning March 1, 2023.
Rev. Slyh began his pastoral ministry with ABC-Ohio in 1979 after graduating from Asbury Theological Seminary. He served as full-time pastor with three congregations; First Baptist Tiffin from 1979-1983, Park Avenue Baptist Church in Mansfield from 1983-1988, and First Baptist Church in Canton from 1988-2011. Following these full-time ministries, Kevin has served as either a part-time pastor or interim pastor at Community Baptist Church in Tallmadge, Springfield Baptist Church in Akron. Calvary Baptist Church in Elyria and First Baptist Church in Perry.
Rev. Slyh comes to us having served the region in various other ministries as well. He is a past-president of the ABC-Ohio Region Board and has held various other positions and served on committees at the region and association level. He fondly remembers many years ago when he was a Camp director at Judson Hills Baptist Camp in Loudonville, Ohio.
When asked what he looks forward to accomplishing in this new role, Kevin said, “I look forward to serving and being an encouragement to our association pastors and their families, as well as assisting Rev. Kevin Thomas, Northeast Ohio regional minister.”
Kevin resides in Hartville, Ohio with his wife Susan (47 years). They have always considered ministry something they embraced to do together. They have two married daughters and three grandchildren. In his free time, he enjoys high school and college sports. He’s also never short on good clean jokes. ABC-Ohio welcomes Rev. Kevin E. Slyh.
First Baptist South Zanesville Seeks Youth Minister
First Baptist Church in South Zanesville is seeking an energetic person with a strong commitment to Christ and a desire to minister to youth in grades 6-12. The ideal candidate will be pursuing a ministry-related degree and/or have experience in Christian youth ministry. We are seeking a person with the skills and desire to start a new program “from the ground up.” At present, the position is part-time (up to 15 hours per week.) Wages will be based on education/experience and the number of hours the accepted candidate is able to be employed.
To apply, forward a resume with references to Youth Minister Search Team at fbcz(at)columbus.rr.com or to First Baptist Church, 80 E. Main Street, South Zanesville, OH 43701. No telephone inquiries, please. Email only. Applicants will be forwarded a complete job description and application form.
The Retirement Celebration of Rev. Jane Gibbons
The Retirement Celebration of Rev. Jane Gibbons at Kingwood Center Gardens on Saturday, November 5, 2022!
ABC Ohio Regional Ministers
It is a joy to share our four Regional Ministers for ABC-Ohio. Each began their service on October 1, 2022. October through December 2022 served as a time of orientation and staff development for our new team. Rev. Jane Gibbons has retired and concluded her ministry, after serving 23 years with ABC Ohio on December 31, 2022.
The Region Board has asked that Rev. Mark Click focus his ministry on the role of the Executive Minister for ABC Ohio. He will no longer be serving in a dual capacity as Executive Minister for Administration & Denominational Relations and Regional Minister for southern Ohio.
Welcome our ABC Ohio Regional Ministers:
Rev. Dr. James Willis – Northwest Regional Minister. Dr. Willis serves as the Senior Pastor of St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church of Toledo and has served in the Toledo Area Baptist Association and for several years on the Region Board as Vice-President, President and Past-President.
Rev. Kevin Thomas – Northeast Regional Minister. Rev. Thomas serves as the Senior Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Canton and has served in the Akron Baptist Association and Ohio Baptist Education Society.
Rev. Dr. Kevin Hairston – Southwest Regional Minister. Dr. Hairston serves as the Senior Pastor of the Living Word Bible Fellowship of Columbus and has served in the Columbus Baptist Association and as Dean of the Ohio Leadership Academy.
Rev. Mark Eaton – Southeast Regional Minister. Rev. Eaton serves as the Senior Pastor of the Porterfield Baptist Church of Little Hocking and serves as the Associate Regional Minister (ARM) for the Marietta Baptist Association.
The Region was blessed to have sixteen excellent ministers apply for the position(s) of Regional Minister. Each candidate was uniquely gifted and qualified to serve, ranging in education and experience. After much thought, consultation and prayer our candidates were selected to serve as Regional Ministers.
Please pray for Rev. Gibbons as she prepares for the next chapter of life and ministry, the new Regional Ministers, the continued ministry of the Associate Regional Ministers (ARMs), and Rev. Click as everyone transitions in our ministries – Equipping the People of God to Impact the World for Christ.
Thank you for your prayers, support and partnership in ministry, as we work together to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ, make disciples and impact our world for Christ.
Nominees Sought for ABC Ohio Region Board Treasurer
Nominees are currently being sought for the American Baptist Churches of Ohio Region Board Treasurer.
Job Description (volunteer):
- The Treasurer is an active participant of the Executive Committee which includes the President, Vice President, Secretary, Past President and Executive Minister.
- Oversees all revenues, expenses and communicates this information to the Board on a quarterly basis.
- In cooperation with the ABC Ohio Staff as well as the Budget and Finance Committee, the Treasurer works to create the Budget Draft and present it to the Board for approval.
- In cooperation with the Senior Accountant, the Treasurer develops and presents the Annual Budget and an over view of the financial health of ABC Ohio at the Annual Gathering.
- Ensures development and Board review of sound fiscal policies and procedures.
- Acts as an official signer on the ABC Ohio bank account and works with Executive Minister and Senior Accountant on large monetary distributions.
- Oversees any financial agreements in consultation with the Finance Committee.
- Participates in revenue generation activities including cultivation and stewardship.
- Serves as the Chair of the Finance Committee.
- In cooperation with the Board Officers and Senior Accountant, accepts responsibility for filing annual tax forms as required by the State or the IRS.
- Provides a full financial report to the Board annually.
- Ensure the protection of funds from any potential misuse by any other members of the committee.
- Participate in the Annual Auditing Process
- Works with the Executive Minister to Plan and ensure adherence to the pre-determined financial budget for the year.
Please forward possible nominees to Rev. Mark Click.